The Serbian Cathedral
Cathedral / Monument
The Serbian Cathedral, dedicated to the Ascension, is located in Union Square, across from the Roman-Catholic Dome. The entrance to the cathedral is on Emanoil Ungureanu St., parallel to the Square, the place of worship being located with the altar facing the East. Next is the Serbian Orthodox Bishopric of Timișoara.
The Serbian Cathedral was built of stone and brick between 1745-1748, during the time of the Serbian Orthodox Bishop of Timişoara, Gheorghie Popovici.
From the architectural point of view, the building was designed in Baroque style, with Classicist elements, and the interior is exceptionally painted by Constantin Daniel, nicknamed the "Tizian of Banat". The woodwork of the cathedral was executed by the Ianici brothers. The iconostasis can itself be considered a masterpiece.
Because of political reasons, the church towers could only be raised in 1791, during a restoration.
The Cathedral was declared a historical monument in 1964.
Text and photo sources: http://www.opiniatimisoarei.ro/; https://timisoara.eventya.eu/