The San Marco Mansion


Address

Comloșu Mare 307120, Romania

About

The San Marco Mansion, a historical monument located on the territory of Comloşu Mare commune, Timiş County, was built around 1840 by count Nákó János.

The Nákó family had bought the lands of Comloş in 1781, becoming the owners of the locality.

The construction consisted of two wings separated by a wrought-iron monumental gate, above which was the stone-built heraldry of the family, a theater hall and administrative buildings, all in the vicinity of a superb park that stretched to no less than ten hectares. It is believed that the park around the castle was the wedding gift of the Emperor Franz Joseph, which reproduced in miniature a famous Viennese garden.

The trees were planted at the beginning of the second half of the nineteenth century, and from each corner of the park an alley was begun to the middle of it, where there was a ring. The alleys were covered with fine white marble stone.

In the park of the former San Marco Mansion there is the bust of the first professional journalist of Banat, Iulian Grozescu, born on January 20, 1839 in Comloşu Mare.

Currently, the right wing of the mansion is the headquarters of the city hall, and the other wing is privately owned.

It can be visited from the outside.

Text and photo sources: http://banatur.com/; http://turismtimis.ro/

Photo Gallery

Similar Suggestions

The Liptay Mansion

Mansion

The San Marco Mansion

Mansion

The Csekonics Mansion

Mansion

The Ottlik Péter Mansion in Izvin

Mansion

The Hodoni Mansion

Mansion