The Palace of Culture
Architecture / Palace
The Palace of Culture, located in Victory Square, was built between 1871 and 1875, by architects Helmer and Fellner, in Renaissance style.
In 1880, the building underwent a fire and was rebuilt between 1880 and 1882, maintaining the original style.
In 1920, the building caught fire again and was rebuilt between 1923 and 1928; the interior was rebuilt in Neo-Romanian style. The 3 entrance arches from the ground floor were replaced with a larger gate.
Between 1934-1936, the façade was fundamentally changed, and a huge modern arch was built. The three Eclectic, Historicist arches from the first floor of the buildings were replaced with three Neo-Byzantine arches.
In 2003, the side surfaces of the main façade regained their original appearance.
Currently, the building of the Palace of Culture houses shows put on by the Romanian Opera, the National Theatre, the German State Theatre and the Hungarian Theatre "Csiky Gergely".
Text and photo sources: http://www.timisoara-info.ro/; http://timisoara.eventya.eu/