The Banat National Museum
The bases for the Banat Museum in Timișoara were laid with the establishment of the Archaeology and History Society of Banat, on July 25, 1872. The first heritage objects were stored in one of the rooms of the Cenad Episcopal Palace.
From 1876 and until the interwar period, the museum was accommodated in the Wellauer House, on Lonovics St.
The official opening of the Banat Museum took place in 1877.
In the last decade of the nineteenth century, the museum included archaeology and old history collections, a picture gallery, natural science collections, a library and an archive.
In 1892 the decision was taken to include a decorative art section within the museum.
In 1948, the Banat Museum was transferred to the Hunyadi Castle.
Until January 1, 2006, the Banat Museum included history sections, natural science, art, ethnography, as well as the regional restoration-conservation laboratory.
After January 1, 2006, the Arts Section of the Banat Museum became a self-standing unit, called the Art Museum of Timișoara.
In July 2006, the Ethnography Section was transferred to the Village Museum of Timișoara.
It is also the year when the Huniade Castle underwent major repairs, works that continue today, from March 2011, the exhibitions being organized in the Maria Theresia Bastion.
Today, the Banat Museum includes the following sections: History, Archaeology, Natural Sciences and the Regional Restoration-Conservation Laboratory.
Text and foto sources: https://mnab.ro/; https://www.facebook.com/MuzeulBanatuluiTimisoaraOficial/