The Ormós House
Architecture / Monument
The Ormós House is located on Episcop Augustin Pacha St. and serves as headquarters to the Library of the Romanian Academy - the Timișoara Branch.
It is the former Welauer House, built in 1891, now bearing the name of Ormós Zsigmond, who purchased the building, modifying it and turning it into the museum of the History and Archaeology Society, of which he was a founding member.
Ormós Zsigmond was a leading figure of the Timișoara cultural life, a collector and an art historian, who also served as Prefect of Timiș County. In this capacity, he launched a call for a grant, seeking to attract as many founding members of the museum as possible.
The museum objects collected by Ormós Zsigmond, through acquisitions and donations, are exhibited in the History Museum of Banat in Timișoara.
Ever since 1941, the Town Library has functioned in the Ormós House, and later, the Academy Library starting 1953.
The building was designed in the Eclectic style of the German Renaissance and is part of the national cultural heritage.
Over time, the bass reliefs disappeared, the statue of goddess Minerva being the only one which was preserved intact on the façade of the building.
Text and photo sources: https://debanat.ro/; https://timisoara.eventya.eu/