The Serbian Orthodox Bishopric
Architecture / Palace
The Serbian Orthodox Bishopric, located in Union Square of Timișoara, is one of the monumental buildings of this town.
The Palace was built between 1745 and 1748, in the times of Serbian Orthodox Bishop of Timișoara, Gheorghie Popovici.
From the architectural point of view, the building was designed in Byzantine style, originally one storey high, as typical Baroque elements were introduced, according to architect László Székely's plans. In 1911 decorations taken from the Serbian architecture were added. Above the entrance gate, one can see the coat of arms of the Serbian Orthodox Bishopric of Timișoara.
The Palace was meant to be an Episcopal residence, as it was an important centre for the Orthodox faith and culture.
Since 1967, The Serbian Orthodox Bishopric has been housing a rich collection of religious art from the 17th to the 19th centuries, consisting of wood and canvas icons, prints brought from Orthodox churches and monasteries, old books, silverware, portraits of Serbian Orthodox bishops. Also, an extremely valuable library and archive are housed here, where the original plans of the palace are kept.
Text source: http://timisoara.eventya.eu/